Tips for building a Stream and Koi pond?

I want to build a small stream with water falls flowing into a small pond on a sloped area near a large Oak tree. The lower end of the pond will be obviously higher than the upper portion. is there any reason why the pond has to be the same depth all the way around??? This would require a lot of digging.

• Sara Laya Sara Laya on Jun 26, 2018
    Hi El! Here are some tips for building a stream or pond, I hope it helps with your project! Good luck!

• 27524803 27524803 on Jun 26, 2018
    FYI.... in a area where it snows and where water freezes down to a depth of 2 plus feet.... You would have to move the Koi inside for the winter... or... install some sort of pond heater.... the water depth should also be at least 3-4 feet... so the fish can be below the frozen level.... you need to take that into consideration when deciding how deep the pond needs to be.... and remember..... water is self leveling.....

• EL Hoard EL Hoard on Jun 27, 2018
      Thanks Marty, I had not taken frezzing into consideration. It rarely freezes or snows here in Memphis and the shallow end of my pond would be at least 2 feet deep and dropping to a depth of about 5/6 feet Which should allow the fish to move to the deep end. Thanks so much for your response.