Have a lot of pine trees in our yard & the lawn is sparse- what to do?

The seedlings were from a Boy Scout project in 1970 and now they are very big tall pine trees that keep the yard shaded. We live in Southeast Virginia and need to know what kind of grass does best with the climate and the lack of sun.
  • Lora Lora on Jun 03, 2017
    Grass pretty much doesn't grow under pine trees. Try your local garden center and see if they can suggest some kind of ground cover.

• Mandy Mandy on Jun 04, 2017
    we bought those too, about 100 of them I was pretty mad when the city came through with water & sewer lines & bulldozed about 30 down. Now I wish they taken more. We can't grow a garden here either, nor will Peonies, Day lilies or Iris bloom.

• 13526476 13526476 on Jun 04, 2017
    There are plants that like acidic soil. I'm having good luck with azaleas, hostas, winter berry, etc. We trimmed our pines up several feet from the ground to provide some dappled sunlight, and put down some compost to replace the just plain tired earth. I checked with a local grower who suggested several other ground covers, including bugleweed.

• Patricia Pittman Patricia Pittman on Jun 05, 2017
      We do have azaleas planted there and yes, they do well. I like hostas, too, so that would be a good option. Thanks!