What are the black tips in my St Augustine grass?

+6
about a week after I mowed I notice some ashy to black tips on some of my St Augustine only in one area. It almost looks like a mildew and is only in one small part of my yard. It appears in an arc pattern.
q what are the black tips in my st augustine grass
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 05, 2017
    That may be cinch bug in your lawn.You must use a insect control for it,as if left untreated you will lose the entire lawn.

• Teresa Teresa on Jun 08, 2017
      Thanks. I have used the same well known professional lawn care service for 3 years. I mow my own grass but have weed/feed treatments done 4-6 times a year. Late last summer that section (where I found this) of my yard died. It took several calls and getting a manager to my house to get something done. pretty good indicator that I need to change my lawn service company.

• Mj823354900 Mj823354900 on Jun 06, 2017
    It can also be a black fungus. I live in the south where we have lots of moist heat. It is treatable. Research on the fungus possibility!!

• Teresa Teresa on Jun 08, 2017
      I live within 30 miles of the Texas Gulf coast where it's humid all the time. When the dew is on, the tips have a dark gray/blackish tint. Once they dry, it looks like the picture.

• FRED RIGGS FRED RIGGS on Jun 06, 2017
    go to an independent garden store and get professional help. They will tell you what it is and offer suggestions to treat the problem. Guess work won't help. I have to do this from time to time. The pro's nail it every time with their help.

• Bre1692319 Bre1692319 on Jun 06, 2017
    Hi I'm the owner of a lawn care business . That is grass fungus. They do sell stuff at Home Depot for it however, a natural alternative might be cornmeal.

• See 1 previous
    • Bre1692319 Bre1692319 on Jun 06, 2017
      Sure, you can get corn gluten meal at the garden center in pellet form and use the spreader to spread it out over your lawn . At first maybe just spreading it over the affected area to see if you can control it that way . I'm thinking it would probably need to be spread over entire lawn though as a precaution.

• Brenda Brenda on Jun 06, 2017
    I agree with Fred