What can we do with a yard that was left untouched "natural" 😐

+4
Lots of ferns and hosts, but the whole yard is overgrown....see picture
q what can we do with a yard that was left untouched natural
  • Charly Charly on May 26, 2017
    Your yard is not overgrown. In fact, it's quite empty!

• Caseyem11 Caseyem11 on May 26, 2017
    Put in a hedge of hydrangea to define the back border. Plant flowering perennials (black eyed Susan, coneflowers, phlox. Beebalm) in front of the hydrangea then lower plants in the very front -marigold, petunia, nonstop roses. Mulch heavily between plants.

• Dmotan Dmotan on May 26, 2017
    You have the start of a beautiful natural garden. If there is a college or university in your area, I would contact them to see if they offer classes on landscaping and ask for them to use your garden as an example of proper landscape in the natural way. Many community colleges offer this. Also see if there are any organic garden clubs in your area. I find they are always happy to assist and many have plants they will share.
    I see your soil is much higher than your walkways. Doesn't this cause a problem when you have a lot of rain? This certainly needs to be addressed.
    This can truly be an exciting adventure. Keep in mind, you don't want the garden to own you, you want to own the garden.
    Have fun.

• 861650 861650 on May 26, 2017
    My suggestion is to draw your yard on paper. Then make simple cut-outs of your plants. This way you can move the plants around until you get "exactly" what you want. Don't be in a rush to get it done. Any excess plants could be donated or just throw them away. It's a thought...

• Margaret Margaret on May 26, 2017
    If it was me, I would take pictures of all of your plants as suggested by Karen C. Then I would prune or take out the trees and plants that I did not want to keep. I put plants in my driveway with a free sign or sell them cheap. Neighbors might come by and offer to exchange plants with you so that you would have more variety. Then I would draw a picture of how I would like my yard to look. After you have a plan, you could begin transplanting what you have to fit your vision into prepared soil beds, fertilize and mulch. After your flowers and plants are in place you could add any more annuals and perennials to make it yours. Then, I would begin to till and rake smooth the area around the plantings for planting grass seeds or putting in sod. There is so much potential for you to make your outdoor areas beautiful. I would put out a lounge or a few lawn chairs for you, family and friends to relax and visit. If you enjoy grilling out, maybe you could make a patio area for that. I would eventually replace the broken unleveled walk way as it could be a tripping hazard. It appears there is a back door that could be painted to compliment a green inviting outdoor area. Since the house is predominately white, I would go with a light green trim and door, anything to make the home look fresh and inviting. There is clearly some hard work to be done but taken a little at the time, you can make it a beautiful pleasing addition to the neighborhood. Oh, I would definitely conceal the pipes coming out of the ground with strategic plantings and perhaps remove a lot of the plants around the foundation. Play and have fun!

• Elaine Elaine on May 26, 2017
    You have a beautiful blank canvas on which to "paint" a lovely garden! The bones are already in place - by that, I mean, you have trees, etc. whereas many a new garden has absolutely zero charm. First of all, what sun do you get in that part of the yard you are showing us? I would plant a ring of hostas around the tree and have a large cluster of graceful ferns wherever the shade is. Then you might like to place a bench or chair for relaxing in the shade. You might want to lay some flagstone to create a sitting area under the tree.

For the shady areas, I also would add two beautiful perennial plants that like shade: Sweet Woodruff (it spreads, is a pretty light green with white flowers) and Bleeding Hearts. I'd plant all perennials (they come up every year thus, save you money!). You might like to just have the annuals (geraniums, etc.) in pots at the front door.

Try to plant in waves - again, I'm referring to NOT planting in "dots" (a pink flower then a blue then a pink, etc.) but plant whatever you decide on in "clusters". If you go on some gardening sites, you might see an example of this - it's a much more modern look to the garden. Go on Houzz and look for gardening ideas. A relative of mine planted an entire bed of Aliums (perennial purple flower) and they carry much more impact than spread out in a "dot fashion" throughout the yard.

always amend your soil. Give it what it wants (loam, compost?) as the soil might need it. I like to see a garden bed raised a bit rather than flat as it can look sparse but I agree with the reader that wondered about soil run off when it rains. I would, perhaps, buy some old looking bricks (nothing new looking) or some sort of classy edging to prevent soil erosion. A small hedge of boxwood would look lovely too. Hydrangeas (again, a cluster or wave) would be great. If you have lots of sun, shrub roses can edge a bed nicely. There is just too much to type but again, add good topsoil, loam, compost to the soil then pick plants that need the sun or shade your yard provides. Boxwoods stay green all year - you might like those too. Vary the heights and textures. Don't have all deciduous trees, and shrubs or your yard will look naked in the Fall and Winter. Dogwood shrubs drop their leaves (deciduous) BUT have beautiful red branches that provide Winter interest. Plant some evergreens if you don't have any as they give structure and form to the garden. Good luck.

• Marcie Marcie on May 27, 2017
    All the above is great, but it can be overwhelming , can't it? Especially with an empty canvas like you have.
    Keep it simple to start, to get your confidence and experience going.

Amend the soil. Plants are only as good as their soil
    deal with the dirt run off issue, if there is one.

Planting - an easy way to start is to circle the tree with hosta.

Start simple - and most of all , have fun! You can always move plants!