What is the best start for landscaping in front of house?

+2
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 06, 2017
    Determine how much space there is to work with width and depth.Start with creating a focal point with a specimen for your planting zone.Plant from the largest in the back and the smallest in the front.Go through gardening websites for choosing your trees,shrubs,flowers and perennials for your area.Here are some for inspiration,,,,Fine gardening.com,The Sprucec.om,Fine Foilage.com,for other options research Wayside gardens.com,bluestone perennials .com,Monrovia .com.

• Keith W. Brown Keith W. Brown on Jun 06, 2017
    Also go online and get the proven winners yearly catalogue & idea book.

• Andrea Packo Andrea Packo on Jun 06, 2017
    Layout on paper and plan the watering system first. Install water lines. Mark with removable little flags so you know where not to dig. Add hardscape like concrete or rock features. Add some fresh soil to area you want as gardens. Visit your local Nursery or garden center to see which plants are native to your area and will be successful. Check that not all your plants bloom at the same time so you have rotating seasonal colors. Then proceed as above. (I've used Dutch gardens.com, and Jungseed.com for years... Inexpensive and reliable plants.) Have fun!

• Dfm Dfm on Jun 07, 2017
    i grew up in a higher crime area.....don't give the thieves a place to hide. incorporate landscape lighting , prickly bushes by windows. remember to plant your your plants as if they are fully grown....give them the space they need to grow properly.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 10, 2017
    I agree with Andrea, start on paper with the layout of the garden as you want it, size, shape, etc. If there are special flowers or shrubs you absolutely want include them in your blueprint of the project. If you have to, do one area at a time as your schedule or money sees fit. You can also see better progress if it is done one area at a time instead of peace meal here and there. With my big garden project in the front of the house, I started on the east and north sides of the garden and worked my way west, while my hubby laid pavers on the other side of the front steps to make us a seating area with some potted plants. It took us almost 3 months to get it all done( it was really hot out and some rain delays). That length also fit our budget along with other things we were doing too. Good luck and have fun with your project.