What to do with dull grey concrete in enclosed pool area?

+4
Would like to paint or stencil a rock pattern onto the gray painted surface
q what to do with dull grey concrete in enclosed pool area
  • Flipturn Flipturn on Dec 18, 2017
    If you apply any additional paint on top of the present surface finish (I am assuming it is the anti-slip kind) you may risk weakening, or covering up the grip ability of the decking, resulting in a very slippery surface, which is not safe around a pool.
    Another consideration is the upkeep of any stencilled or painted-on designs. How durable will they be after being exposed to both the reflecting sun, and chlorine water splashes? How often will they require re-doing just so that it does not look shabby?

If you are wanting to add colour and pattern to the deck area, my suggestion is to add colourful pots, umbrellas, artificial trees, etc. - objects that can be moved and that are low maintenance.

• Nicholas Southard Nicholas Southard on Dec 18, 2017
    I free hand painted mine with regular concrete paint 11 years ago nonskid and still looks great

• A A on Dec 18, 2017
    It depends on how much money you want to spend, but if you're looking for a paver "look" I recommend against using actual pavers. We had to resurface our pool about 4 years ago and I love the paver look so we decided to resurface the concrete surrounding the pool (the previous owners had painted it mauve, which was wearing off and underneath was PINK - yikes! Two or my least favorite colors).

At any rate, we decided to use pavers (expensive) and have since regretted it. They are difficult to keep clean and have to be resealed periodically. You know, a friend of mine actually told me this and I ignored the warning.

Stamped concrete is a good way to go, but be sure you get someone who really knows their stuff. It's a process not for the faint of heart.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Dec 18, 2017
    Unless you are a really skilled artist or contractor I wouldn't do it. This pool area has real home value and you risk ruining that if the finished product doesn't look professional and you may harm resale value if you sell. I would buy outdoor area rugs to decorate instead.

• If you think it might be a cool deck finish, there is a coating you can buy from pool and patio companies that you paint right over and it keeps the surface non skid! I think it's called "cool deck" but might be wrong. Good Luck!

• Kat Kat on Dec 19, 2017
    You should definitely take a look at directcolors.com they have lots of great ideas.