Where are the best places in the yard to put up several birdhouses?

+2
Right now, the birds are going up in our attic, and also up under the roof of our house. We live in a 1901 farmhouse and there are holes everywhere for them to build their nest. We have a really huge front and back yard, and also have a back 40.
  • Maddie Maddie on May 29, 2017
    I have bird feeders and put bird houses close to them.... it works!!!!

• Diane L Cross Diane L Cross on May 30, 2017
    In an area near where you have trees, away from the house, where you're able to enjoy the view of the birds from the house, and not have bird "do" on patio or play areas.

• Thelma Thelma on May 30, 2017
    Cover all the holes in the siding, eaves, etc. in the house before putting up the bird houses; if you don't, the houses will invite other birds and the ones from your home will just start tearing at repaired areas to create new ways to get in. Then, put up the bird houses away from your home as already suggested.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 30, 2017
    My parents always had bird houses and they always put them up on the back of the property by big hedges or trees. The feeders were closer to the house because no one wants to have to plow to get to them in the winter.

• 861650 861650 on May 30, 2017
    Make sure you have the right sized holes for the type of birds you want to attract. Some birds (and I am no expert) attack other birds and their nests. Last year I witnessed a "cat bird" take a baby bird from another nest and proceeded to tear it apart. Was gruesome.