Where do you start when beginning with a big backyard blank slate?

+3
It is overwhelming to have such a huge backyard and want a beautiful flower garden with pathways and fun garden items and not know where to begin.
  • Dysko7710 Dysko7710 on May 28, 2017
    I would start by sketching it out on paper first. That way you can plan where you want everything and see what it looks like. Then, I would pick one section of yard or one project at a time.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on May 29, 2017
    Check out what others have done on Hometalk. I have seen some pictures of gorgeous back yards that I would love to have if I had a flat yard.

• Mel22867749 Mel22867749 on May 29, 2017
    I guess I kind of planned mine bit by bit, if planning i did. I would just dig out an area , started at the outer edge (less grass to fight than in the middle) and after building up the soil,there I planted things that were going to get large Then I dug out an area near the kitchen door and walkway and planted salad things with the flowers and salad extras like green onions, etc. Later I expanded it to include strawberries, and lots of perenial flowers , slowly I worked adding beds as needed more space for plants until now I only have one small green space too small to mow. I have started putting cabbages, brocoli and blueberries among the flowers

• Judy Kinion-Ryan Judy Kinion-Ryan on May 29, 2017
    First, learn the micro-climate in your yard. How much sun vs shade, type of soil, size (high fences vs no fences changes climate dramatically.) Learn what plants are BEST suited to your macro and microclimates. Next, sketch out possible plant placement keeping in mind how children play in the yard and what they play, (changes with ages.)
    After all that, not all plants will thrive, plant something if it doesn't do well, try it in a different part of the yard. Plants can be picky, you just keep trying and, eventually you will get it sorta the way you imagined it and then you will change things all around when you see a great idea! It's a journey without and end but a great trip.

• Shirley Barnett Shirley Barnett on May 29, 2017
    Thank you for your input Nancy.