What perennials are best suited for clay soil in northern WI?

+4
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Dec 18, 2017
    Local gardeners will give the best response, until you get started hat I might offer
    A great resource that I have used and highly recommend .....is your local Cooperative extension. These offices are manned by a wonderful team of master gardeners that know your local situation quite well. There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped me many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.

Do an internet search ask garden expert and your state ———you'll find.......

”Fill out the Ask an Expert form below to submit your question. An Extension Master Gardener will reply via email within 48 hours. Please provide as much relevant detail as possible. If you attach photos, please ...”

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Dec 18, 2017
    Not much grows in clay soil. The roots rot. Yu will need to amend your soil.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 19, 2017
    You can try hostas!

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 19, 2017
    Contact your county Agricultural Extension Cooperative office. They would be the best to advise you on your local area. I would not suggest what to plant due to your weather and snow. As far as clay soil, start a compost pile and next year till it into your garden beds.

• Peter Peter on Dec 19, 2017
    I'm with Sal! I have plenty of clay in NJ (mixed with rock). Add compost.
    Also, consider spring bulbs. Beware that Hostas are deer fodder.
    To compost the lazy way, collect your leaves in a restricted area, chop them (with a lawn mower). Keep this collection in the area that you want to improve. Turn them often starting in the spring... blend the stuff with grass clippings and you'll have soil by July.