Advice on keeping animals out of my plants

+4
I am thinking about planting herbs and other small plants and perhaps having them secured to the side of my home as a way to keep the cats/skunks/raccoons/opossums from getting at them. I've had herbs one year and were doing great. Beautiful plants and over night they were dead because cats sprayed them. I am hesitating on my idea because I don't want to do damage to the side of my home and the paint finish. Thoughts?

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 27, 2018
    I have mine in pots on a three tiered plant stands with no problem with critters and no damage to the siding. I found mine at ladies for a reasonable price. They even connect to make it longer, or add on the curved pieces on the end, or even make it a circle using only the curved pieces. It works for me and we have many rabbits, squirrels and rabbits in our neighborhood. Luckily we have no feral cats or a lot of outdoor cats.

• Install motion lights. Creatures of the night do not like light and will scurry away. My house is lit up like a christmas tree.

• JIM HICKS JIM HICKS on Jun 28, 2018
    GINGER POWDER FOR COMPLETE AVOIDENCE - CAYENNE PEPPER TO DISCOURAGE ANIMALS FROM RETURNING FOR A SECOND HELPING.
    SOME ANIMALS AVOID LIGHTED AREAS.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 28, 2018
    I spread out shredded Irish Spring bar soap around all my plants, including vegetables. You can shred the bars on a box grater or even in a food processor. This method is the only thing that has worked for me and I live next to woods and a river. So we see a lot of critters. They hate the smell and taste of the soap. So they eat elsewhere. Good luck to you.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jun 28, 2018
    Depending on where you live, the soap deterrent idea might not be effective. However, if you want to give it a go, I would advise against shredding irish spring soap in your food processor, as it will be difficult to get the scent out of the plastic.

• Maria Lee Maria Lee on Jun 30, 2018

Thank you so much everyone. Really great ideas. I am going to give them a try. Thanks again.