How can I keep ants out of my hummingbird feeders?

+3
Anyone have a foolproof way to keep pesky ants from getting into hummingbird feeders? I have tried everything......moats, coating the hanger with Vick's salve, vaseline, motor oil? Nothing seems to work and I am always pouring the nectar out and refilling only to have the ants invade again. Help!
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Jun 08, 2017
    I use a product called Nectar Fortress. You just use a small amount around the hook or string that your feeder hangs from. So far this has worked.

• Ida Ida on Jun 08, 2017
    ants wont go across cucumber peels

• Darla Bethea Darla Bethea on Jun 08, 2017
    I sprinkle cinnamon on it. Reapply once a week until they get it or after rain

• Sandy White Sandy White on Jun 08, 2017
    you can buy "ant cups" from Walmart and other places. hang on the hook before you hang the feeder and keep filled with water. Keep it full of water. Ants won't cross it. Works for me.

• C.a11817469 C.a11817469 on Jun 08, 2017
    Use boric acid and sugar and water, mix it together and put it on cotton balls and put them in the area where you see the ants,They take this mixture back to their nest and know more ants.

• Joye R. Foster Joye R. Foster on Jul 09, 2017
    Amazon sells ant guards. Worked for us.