Any tips for rodent proofing drip irrigation?

There are lots of ground squirrels where I live and I could use some ideas to keep the little boogers from gnawing through the poly tubing. I'm using PVC to run the long stretches between trees/plants in hope that they'll do less damage to it, and I'm going to bury everything but the emitters, but have a bad feeling that they'll be chewing through the poly tubing that will be around the plants. Only other thing I plan on is to place a small saucer at the base of a couple of plants that will fill whenever the system runs in hope that they'll drink from it instead of chewing into the tubing for a drink.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jun 01, 2017
    You can try running a slow-rate drip emitter into an old bowl or cooking pot that has been buried to its lip every so often around the garden. That way, every time you run your drip system, you also re-fill these watering holes, giving your critters an easier drink than they can get by chewing through your lines. Good luck!!!

• Lita Wolner Lita Wolner on Jun 01, 2017
      Thanks! I was planning on using some old plant saucers so that the critters won't get stuck in them and drown when the water level drops, but perhaps something deeper would be better...maybe as long as there's a stick or something that they can use to climb out...

• Eloise Eloise on Jun 01, 2017
    Repels-All by Bonide available from Amazon. It has to be reapplied after rainfall, but has worked beautifully for me. It safe to use on/around plants. https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-238-Shot-Gun-Repels-All-Repellent/dp/B001E4R2SO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496321462&sr=8-2&keywords=repels+all

I had a friend use this method which worked well for her. Never tried it myself. Puree the hottest peppers you can find and "paint" the tubing.