Can I use shattered tempered glass on my garden beds?

+5
hello all,

just wondering if if anyone has used shattered tempered glass on their beds to deter slugs and snails?

Many thanks

Mel
  • Ellis Ellis on May 31, 2017
    I wouldn't. It could be hazard eventually when you're gardening, or to wildlife. Get some diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it around, or use the old beer in a pie tin method. All else fails, use a slug bait.

• Mel Morris Mel Morris on Jun 01, 2017
    it doesn't have sharp edges like normal glass so not dangerous but has a grittiness to it. Will check out the other recomm you've given except the beer as we get hundreds of them a week! Literally hundreds and that includes evening slug/snail collections.
    nematoids are another option I keep meaning to try out as there's so many eggs in the garden it's becoming impossible to control them.

thanks again for your help
    mel

• Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on Jun 01, 2017
    If you have this big of a problem, you may want to do container gardening in the future. It won't eliminate them but it does slow them down.

• Mel Morris Mel Morris on Jun 02, 2017
      we've been putting a lot of our plants into pots and gritting the tops of the pots as theyre bad we've had one climb into our first floor bathroom, hardcore little buglets ☺️

• Kathy Sayles Fozzard Kathy Sayles Fozzard on Jun 01, 2017
    Mix sand into the dirt.

• Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on Jun 01, 2017
    I would use diatomaceous earth or crushed eggshells. They won't walk over either.

• Mel Morris Mel Morris on Jun 02, 2017
      we get thro quite a lot of eggs so this will used from tomorrow onwards. We've dug down by two feet for nearly 250 feet of borders and replaced all of the soil severely years ago and it's all started back up again.

Most of our our plants are now in pots with grit and copper tape around them but we even get them in the house as there's so many of them.

slug/snail joy ☺️