Deer and raccoon-proof garden?

We are lucky to live with wildlife in the area, but deer and raccoons love our almost everything we try to plant in a garden. Any ideas for an enclosure that lets light and water in, keeps animals out, and doesn't cost too much?

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Jul 01, 2018
    I totally understand what you are going through. I recently wrote an article on some of the things I do to keep pest out of my gardens. Maybe some of these ideas will help you - https://chascrazycreations.com/keep-pests-out-of-your-garden/

• See 1 previous
      Thanks Lauren, I totally understand and feel your pain. It's so disappointing to work so hard and then just have them come in gobble up that hard work. I hope some of these help and let me know how it goes and if you learn anything along the way.

• Deer turn their noses up at fragrant plants with strong scents. Sages, ornamental salvias, and lavender, daffodils, garlic, annual vinca, marigolds, coneflowers - so maybe surround or mix some of these among your veggies.

Use a vegetable peeler on the bar of Irish Spring soap and scatter shavings around plants and bushes. There's a product called Bobbex that works really well if you have something you want to protect though!

I read this from Gma Kirk: A farmer gave me a gross recipe for repellent...but it works. cup or two of urine, tablespoons of crushed garlic, and cayenne pepper, two eggs in a gallon jug, shake well, fill rest of the way with water. Cap and let age a week. Then you drizzle small stream around the perimeter of whatever you want to keep them from eating - works on rabbits too!