How do you get rid of that nasty weed they call potato vine?

Vicki Snyder
by Vicki Snyder
It climbs up the peonies, it grows over my periwinkle ground cover, it twists and climbs over anything until you can hardly tell what was underneath it! Nasty stuff! There's gotta be a way to say adios! to this one.
  • I've never experience potato vine, but I just found this on the internet: "Start your control program by cutting the vines down to the ground and waiting for new growth to begin. Then treat the new vine portions with a brush killer found at local garden centers following label instructions. A number of brands are available that contain about the same ingredients. Some products include instructions for treating the stems. Also, remove as many of the aerial potato-like tubers on the vines and ground as possible. These portions are a major way the plant disperses and restarts growth in new spots." from http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-15/features/os-tom-plant-doctor-081510-20100815_1_crape-myrtle-vines-natural-products I also found this information: "The vine reproduces through aerial tubers that form at the base of the leaves. These tubers eventually fall off the vine and sprout new vines in the spring. Herbicide application is currently the most effective way to control the spread of the air potato, although studies are underway on the use of a beetle as a biological control." from http://patch.com/florida/clearwater/bp--the-air-potato-vine-a-tough-tangled-invader#.U_3ycsWwLRc Hope this helps!

• Hollie Weatherford Hollie Weatherford on Aug 27, 2014
    It dies n the winter; I have some n pots running up & down trellises. I myself like them n pots!! I have a green & purple one that are beautiful!!

• Lee Cunningham Green Lee Cunningham Green on Aug 28, 2014
    The potato vine grows wickedly here in Florida, I have discovered if you pull them as soon as you see them and of course get rid of any potatoes that appear you can at least control them. Where i pulled the root they really have not come back .