Getting rid of poison ivy, sumac and oak

+2
I have a home in the MO Ozarks surrounded by forestry. There are a lot of these types of plants around the house. I've been using roundup with some success but am concerned about the chemicals. Is there a homemade surefire concoction that I can use on these dangerous plants? Thank you. W.E.

• Cindy Cindy on Dec 07, 2017
    Salt and water will kill anything. But be careful because it will kill anything it comes in contact with.

• Janet Panos Janet Panos on Dec 07, 2017
    Hello! Here is a guide that has natural methods to eliminate poison ivy and poison sumac. Click on the link below:

• Round up has been found to cause cancer (there are a ton of lawsuits), and bad for the water table among other things. My friends and I use vinegar. If you need stronger than the typical $2 a gallon white vinegar (5% acidity), you can buy "cleaning vinegar" which is 6% acidity. If you need stronger than that they do sell industrial or agricultural vinegar with 10% - 20% acidity, depending on where you purchase or brand. It will kill anything in its path, must be applied heavily and repeatedly for best results. Must be reapplied after every rain or snow event. I keep the pets and kids away when using agricultural vinegar. Wild animals don't like the smell and will stay away on their own.

Every spring I help a couple of my girlfriends, we suit up, cut away all new growth, then drown in vinegar. When dead, suit up again and dig out the dead roots.

Cleaning vinegar can be purchased at some grocery stores, big box home improvement and hardware stores, restaurant supply or janitorial supply stores. Agricultural vinegar is sometimes found at home improvement stores and most farm and ranch supply stores.

All vinegars can be purchased on line from various retailers and, of course, Amazon.

• Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Dec 07, 2017
    See if you don't find this informative, Weldredge: