How do I stop mushrooms from growing on the stump of a tree I cut?

+2
Had a tree cut down but did not go underground to remove roots. How do I get mushrooms to stop growing on the stump that is ground level?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 25, 2017
    Apply a fungicide

• Elizabeth Dion Elizabeth Dion on May 25, 2017
    You may also be able to get rid of the stump by drilling holes in it and putting gasoline into the holes.

• FRED RIGGS FRED RIGGS on May 25, 2017
    you really can't stop them, no spray will get them. They are feeding on the old tree roots. Practice your golf game and use your driver or pull them by hand, whichever is more fun. I have been there done that. Mine are huge and grow right though grass. Almost the size of the palm of your hand and close to the ground and kill the grass when they come through the dirt. Not much is possible to get rid of them except pull em when you see em

• Drown the remaining stump in vinegar, and I mean drown, a couple gallons at least. May need to be repeated periodically, and will help speed up the rot process.

• Lynn Murphy-Picker Lynn Murphy-Picker on May 25, 2017
    Another chemical free way to help the stump decay faster is to drill several deep holes on the top. Pour epsom salts into each hole. Takes a few treatments but it does work.