Has anyone had success in keeping groundhogs from eating the garden?

+5
Ive tried mothballs Epson salt, a mixture I actually make on the stove, (sprinkle on plants,, as well as these sonic solar devices... Still they visit,, but aren't as bad,,,yet,, as they eat the flowers
  • Xro23269403 Xro23269403 on Jun 01, 2017
    weve tried EVERYTHING as well. Trap them, get a couple of cats, or fabric and rock the yard. It's like Caddyshack at or place! 😣

• Mike Mike on Jun 01, 2017
    There are 4 0r 5 strays in the area this year, so hopefully that will help somewhat, but they've already eaten the tops of flowering plants?? ?? I will be getting more Epson salt, as that seemed t do some good though.

• Ann Ann on Jun 02, 2017
    It is a terrible problem - I trapped mine, but I did know someone who fed them a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day and that stopped them from eating the plants ....no clue why this worked for them, but it might fall under the "worth a try" category!

• Mike Mike on Jun 02, 2017
    This is a large wooded area with he garden in front of it,, so they can travel somewhat,, , but Ill try anything at this point thanks

• Ann Ann on Jun 04, 2017
    Well I know I like PB&J! Yes - I thought it was pretty strange - certainly not their usual diet.

• DORLIS DORLIS on Jun 04, 2017
    If you get an answer, share it please. A tip: I saw one at my house and an old timer informed me that I have a family with their den under my shed or garage. Then I found one in the garage and asked my car dealer if I should worry. He said yes, they like soybeans and all the valves in the engine are made from soy oil. They had a brand new car that had to be towed in because the groundhogs chewed up all parts made from soy. Now I keep my garage closed all the time. An idea, maybe plant soybeans away from the garden. They will go for them and leave your garden alone, hopefully.