Help! I'm being over run by maple trees!

+2
Help PLEASE! For 9 yrs now we have been cutting down maple saplings, some from old small stumps others are stand alone. We cut them 2 or 3 times a year but they come back EVERY time. This year we cut the stumps level to the ground (they were from 3 to 12 ins above), last year we had the only large maple (at other end of property) cut down and stump grinded to nothing. What will kill these things without killing my garden (some grow about 5 ft away from veggies) some are in between fences with neighbor others are just everywhere. I swear these things would be still growing after a nuclear blast. (will be the cockeroaches & maple trees) TIA
  • Tracy Harrison Dakil Tracy Harrison Dakil on Jun 17, 2017
    At your local agricultural center or co-op they should have a product that will help rot the stump. It won't hurt your veggies

• Gma Kirk Gma Kirk on Jun 17, 2017
    you can selectively kill them by putting on rubber gloves, then top with cotton gloves, dip your gloved hands in RoundU, and wipe the saplings. I use the super cheap cloth gloves that come in a bag of 5 pair, so I can just toss them when I'm done. This works better than spray, as it doesn't get on anything nearby if a breeze came by.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 17, 2017
    Hi Kerri, Each time you cut the saplings, that's the same thing as pruning. Any trees love being pruned. They come back stronger than ever. Try to pull the sapling AND the roots attached to it. Leaving the roots in the ground will cause another tree to grow even stronger. Hope this helps.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jun 18, 2017
    If you do the round up, with the ones that have a manageable trunk on the sapling, cut or break the trunk and put the roundup on the cut end as well as the rest of the sapling that is left with the glove as described above or a paint brush to prevent overspray. This should allow the roundup to soak down into the sapling really well. If the root doesn't die it will come back.

• Lynn Blumenfeld Lynn Blumenfeld on Jun 18, 2017
    I don't think maples will take over the world if they grow at the same pace as yours. They will be crowded out by live oak trees. Every time my lawn is mowed (every two weeks) a forest of baby oaks die. They grow faster than weeds here in South Texas. The visible ones growing in a patch are bad enough- though they do make nice ground cover. Actually they grow from the roots of living trees which spread out pretty far. It's the ones  from long gone trees that pop up in the middle of my raised beds or under my house's siding that are the problem.