How can I get rid of English Ivy?

+6
It was planted by previous homeowners. The ivy roots are bound between & under a rock wall. It just grows everywhere. I pull up the roots if I can, but it gets out of control. It grows into the lawn, flower garden, trees...I wish my grass grew as well as this.
  • FL FL on May 25, 2017
    Here is a website with step by step instructions and illustrations on how to get rid of invasive Ivy. http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-English-Ivy  ; Good luck!

• Sandra Allen Sandra Allen on May 25, 2017
    I call this "seeing if it's in park". In other words, I use the simplest solutions first. I have heard a lot of good things about using boiling water to kill the roots. Here's a quote.

Boiling water will kill any plant growth it touches. It is very inexpensive and simple to use. It is superb for killing annual weeds and can control and/or killperennial weeds. It is a popular non-toxic means for killing weeds growing in cracks and driveways.Jan 1, 2013

• Bobbie Bobbie on May 25, 2017
    according to Horticulture Magazine, pull up as much as you can then spray with white vinegar and be sure to throw away the roots immediately. Mulch the area with 6-8 inches to prevent it from coming back.. www,hortmag.com

• Sharose Sharose on May 25, 2017
    Thank you!

• John John on May 25, 2017
    use a weed torch---yes there is such a thing----dig up or pull out as much roots as you can... burn the base of the ivy roots----don't set the house on fire....burn any new shoots that may appear....if you can't locate a weed torch, use a craft torch, but you will need to sit instead of stand

• Sharose Sharose on May 25, 2017
    I've never heard of a weed torch. But that sounds like fun!

• FL FL on May 25, 2017