How can I remove violets from lawn safely and forever?

+3
  • Cho12869007 Cho12869007 on Jun 16, 2017
    roundup worked for me

• Carolyn Carolyn on Jun 16, 2017
    Round up will kill everything that it comes in contact with. A friend gave me some perennial mums a number of years ago and told me that there might be a violet or two in with them. My yard was overtaken with them. I tried Weed be Gone, which kills weeds but not the grass, It didn't work. The only real way to get rid of them is to physically remove them. I bought a Fiskars Delux Stand Up Weeder. It has 4 sharp prongs that you dig into the ground around the weed, step on the pedal and pull it back. The violet (or dandelion or broad leaf) comes right out. It can be addictive. Once you start digging them out, you don't want to stop.

• Joanne Helmer Joanne Helmer on Jun 17, 2017
    why would you want to get rid of violets? and why use a poison like roundup on your lawn where pets and birds and children might play?

• Gma Kirk Gma Kirk on Jun 17, 2017
    Broadleaf weed killer will take care of this. Of course, I'm trying to do the opposite. Kill all the Bermuda and have nothing but violets! They are so pretty in the spring! Different strokes!

• Fur16078875 Fur16078875 on Jun 17, 2017
    Why? They are too beautiful!

• Roy Cox Roy Cox on Jun 18, 2017
    Pour very hot, just boiled water directly and carefully over the violets, slowly so you don't get it onto much of the grass. It will quickly kill what it touches, but will not sterilize the soil, so the grass can fill back in. If possible, take a hand trowel and dig a tiny moat around the violets to keep the hot water from running where it's not wanted as you pour. This works on virtually any weeds!