How can i rid my house of fleas? I clean CONSTANTLY!

+14

• You're probably not killing all of the eggs. Here's a link that should help:

https://www.terminix.com/blog/diy/how-to-get-rid-of-fleas-in-the-house/

• Em Em on Oct 20, 2021

Cleaning will not kill fleas. The eggs are like grains of salt and round like chicken eggs. The roll into any crack or crevices and into the pile of the carpets. If you have pets you need to give them a Vet approved product like Sentinel or Bravecto. I hate giving my dogs chemicals and they are expensive but if there is one flea in my house I get bitten. Fleas carry disease and tapeworm. You can bomb your house if it is bad but things you buy in the store are a waste of money. Veterinarian products are the only things that work. I am in my senior years, have had pets my whole life and am speaking from experience. All of the nonsense things you read by people that "parrot" things they "heard" are a waste of time. Sweeping daily and taking the sweeper contents to an outdoor trash bin helps. ONE female flea can lay 100's of eggs. If half of THEM are female look at the problem you have in no time.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Oct 20, 2021

Hi Loreen, those things are such a bother. The only way we could rid of them was to rent a steam cleaner and then deep clean the carpets, furniture, and our fur baby beds. We then sprayed a special flea killer spray that kills the adults and the larvae. Wear gloves and keep your pets away while spraying.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 20, 2021

When they got in our house, we spent a small fortune on DIY, all to no avail. We ended up calling a pest control company. They use something that sterilizes the fleas. It took 2 applications because they have such a short life cycle. However, it was WAY less than we had spent and actually got rid of them. I checked into purchasing the chemicals but you have to buy in bulk so it was still cheaper to hire it done. The down side is that your family and pets have to be out of the house for an extended period of time. I don't remember exactly how long but we took the cat to MIL's. She wasn't the flea source. My son had let a stray dog stay in our basement when it was around freezing one night. They got into the cracks of the wooden floors from the underside. Even though we had laid sub flooring and felt before the tongue & groove flooring.

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Oct 20, 2021

make sure your pets are using flea preventive and if not bath them and get a good flea dip shampoo to kill fleas- then you can use this method to clean up fleas

https://www.healthline.com/health/healthy-home-guide/how-to-get-rid-of-fleas

if they are really bad then call an exterminator to help you out

• Janice Janice on Oct 20, 2021

As others have said, you MUSST kill the eggs or it is a losing battle. You must wage a consistent battle over time to rid your home of the fleas, the eggs, and maintain dilegence in treating any pets who harbor or bring in the fleas.

• Dee Dee on Oct 20, 2021

I use Home Defense both in the house and yard. You need to also treat your pets.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Oct 20, 2021

Of course treat your pets to flea baths.

Years back we had an infestation of fleas and used the bombs several times and they worked. The main problem with the bombs was they do not get under furniture. Guess we were fortunate. We boarded the cats while the treatment went on.

If we get fleas again, I would hire a professional because it is what they do, they have the training and the equipment to handle these pests.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Oct 20, 2021

Get bug bombs Home Depot has them you have to remove all

pets get a bug bomb for each room if it’s large get 2 for that room even do the attic. Put one in each room set it off starting at top work down then leave house for about 2 hours

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 21, 2021

DO YOU HAVE ANIMALS ! HAVE THEM TREATED!!

• Annie Annie on Oct 21, 2021

Ugg those things are the worst! Do you have pets? Unfortunately, I think the only way to really get rid of them is to use chemicals.

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 21, 2021

Hi Loreen: The good news is it can be done. The bad news is it takes a bit of time. I have had a lot of luck with a product called Enforcer Flea Spray For Homes. Tractor Supply, among other stores, sells it. It has no odor. When you vacuum your floors and furniture, empty the tube, if that's the type of vacuum you have, or remove the bag and put the whole thing in a plastic bag and throw away outside. The fleas will live in the vacuum and then sneak out and start living large in your house if you don't. You can also make a spray of a couple drops of Dawn and water and spray around your house. This should kill the fleas. Fleas live about 2 or 3 months, so don't look for a quick fix :( It will take a while to get rid of them, so hang in there.

Good luck

• Sharon Sharon on Oct 24, 2021

I use the passive flea traps in each room, they work great and the bonus is any creepy crawly spiders get stuck on the pads too. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=flea+traps+for+inside+your+home+with+light&crid=6W5FYL3IU8WS&sprefix=flea+traps%2Caps%2C342&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_10

Then I use 20 mule team laundry borax in a jar with lots of holes in the lid, and sprinkle all over the carpets, and even furniture and bed. Let sit 3 hours then vacuum up. Safe for you, kids and pets. Eggs hatch every 9 days when you are having a break out, do the borax treatment and then followup in 9-10 days.

I use old towels for the cats to sit on, that I shake out at least every 2 days and wash weekly. I put 1/2c of borax in the laundry too as it kills all the flea eggs.

I also use a non-toxic bug repellent, Greenerways Bug Repellant to spritz the couch and recliner when needed. https://www.amazon.com/Greenerways-Organics-Organic-Repellent-DEET-Free/dp/B07RS4GMH7/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2TMM5NPCMQJM6&dchild=1&keywords=greenerways+organic+insect+repellent&qid=1635116035&sprefix=greenerways%2Caps%2C580&sr=8-11