How do I deal with tree roots from a thirty year old tree?

+5
removing them altogethe. We have cut them and they still keep growing.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 23, 2017
    Build a small retainer wall around the tree and fill it with mulch

• Bam24686315 Bam24686315 on Dec 23, 2017
    When you cut the roots you are doing a couple of things to your tree. One you are weakening the anchor system that helps stabilized it during high winds plus opening it up to disease and possible rot. The other thing is that it stimulates the tree to sprout new much smaller roots to try to anchor itself and search for food and water. The root system is the uptake for nutrients and water. When that is damaged it affects the whole tree.

• Diane Kirsch Diane Kirsch on Dec 23, 2017
    Call a Stump Grinding Service...they usually charge upwards of $30 for a 6" diameter tree stump.

• Sue Kallstrom Sue Kallstrom on Dec 24, 2017
    I had the same problem! I dug down and exposed as much root system as possible. I then placed charcoal brickets over the entire root bed, smothered it with lighter fluid (meant for charcoal) and lit it. Make sure you stand way back! I had to repeat this several times ( we has a diseased 100 year old tree). It became a firepit for my children & me and a fun memory. This did the trick!

• Dee Frost Dee Frost on Dec 24, 2017
    I made flower beds between the raised roots, and put flat rocks all around the outside, looked great,

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Dec 24, 2017
    Get a company that removes trees and they have a machine to cut to the bottom of roots to remove them. We had the same problem.

• Sherrie Sherrie on Dec 25, 2017
    You can try drilling holes and use full strength stump killer. Also if you can cover them with black plastic that reduces sunlight. The downside to these options is it will take a while for this to work.