How do I get rid of bamboo in my yard?!

+4
I can't imagine why anyone would have planted it in the first place, but it's there and has been there since I moved in six years ago. I paid good money to have someone dig it up, but up it came. I tackled it myself, and it's baaaack! A neighbor said he thought I should pour some sort of solution down each open stalk, but he didn't know exactly what to use. Anyone out there have any experience with this? I do have some plants in that area that I want to keep, and I want to plant some new evergreens there once the dreaded bamboo is gone.
  • Sou15031416 Sou15031416 on Jun 13, 2017
    I have the same problem, and we've tried everything to get rid of it (pouring Round-up down the stalk, digging it up, etc). Kudzu is also a problem in my yard and is just as (or more than) stubborn than Bamboo (I call it DamBoo). I recently heard that Bayer Advanced Brush Killer Plus will kill Kudzu, so I'm going to try it on the Bamboo. I've always heard NOTHING can kill Kudzu or Bamboo, so I'm crossing my fingers that this will work. Good Luck!

• Diane May Wehrman Diane May Wehrman on Jun 13, 2017
    I'm afraid you will have to dig it up. And if its running bamboo, you can expect to find shoots for quite a while. My husband first took it to the ground with a chain saw. Then we dug and dug and dug some more. Hope you can get rid of it!

• Mir Graham Mir Graham on Jun 13, 2017
    Oh Lord. Killing bamboo is HARD! You will end up having to dig it up. We dug out my grandmas but then put tons of wet newspaper then a liner over it to minimalize shoots coming back. Good luck.

• Faith Spear Faith Spear on Jun 13, 2017
    After you dig it up or cut it close to ground, cover the area with something heavy and preferably dark colored. I find old rugs very good for this work. Leave it covered for a full season or a year if you can. Those rubber-backed walk-off rugs do well. The idea is to not allow any light through; air and water can penetrate.

If you are too impatient to wait until all of the roots are dead, you can cut holes in the covering and plant your evergreens, but know that the bamboo will come up anywhere that is not covered. When you are sure it dead, you'll have to clean up whatever remains of the rug,; a messy job but... no bamboo.

If you want to improve the soil in that area, put down a heavy layer of straw or compose or all of your raked up leaves, grass clippings, coffee grounds, etc. before the rug(s). When you take up the covering you'll find lovely soil and a bonus; earthworms.

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jun 14, 2017
    You'll definitely have to dig it up - you can do it!

• Spa24261819 Spa24261819 on Jun 19, 2017
    My motherinlaw planter cane bamboo as a break downtheproperty line. . We have been trying to thin it out ever since. In the spring bamboo puts up new growth (spikes) , you can step on them and break off at the ground. That takes care of new growth. The bad part is the roots grow underground and will travel everywhere. We just keep cutting it and try to keep it inner control. There is a poison you can purchase and spray it but it contaminates the soil foe several years and nothing will grow there. Would look pretty bad. Don't know if it works.

• Virginia S. Virginia S. on Jun 19, 2017
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions with the "damn-boo" situation I have. I will try a combination of all of them and hope for the best. I haven't been able to dig for the last week, but I will get out there this week and continue with that. Why, why, why, is what I want to know, would anyone plant this stuff!!

Virginia