How do I get rid of the red bugs on my lily leaves?

+2
I have several lilies but the leaves are starting to look like lace and the underside of some of the lily leaves have black spots, I am thinking the black might be eggs from the red beetle like bug. Anyone have any suggestions> greatly appreciated.
  • Shoshana Shoshana on May 29, 2017
    Sounds like a lily leaf beetle. And those black spots indeed are the eggs. Hand-picking the adult beetles is very effective if you have only a few lily plants. Be vigilant and fast. The beetles are very quick and as soon as they sense movement, they will immediately drop to the soil level and lie on their backs, which makes them difficult to find. Use this habit to capture and destroy the adults by holding a jar of soapy water under them and nudging them off the leaf. They will immediately fall into the water. Good luck!!

• Angela Ley Angela Ley on May 29, 2017
    I agree with the other comments, this is what we do as well.

• Dianeg1234 Dianeg1234 on May 29, 2017
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, this information  is very helpful.

• Julanne Sharrow Julanne Sharrow on May 29, 2017
    One more thing to spray for.....we have given up........AND the red bugs will eat more than just lilies.....

• Dianeg1234 Dianeg1234 on May 29, 2017
      I don't want them being any more invasive than they already are. Laced leaves are not pretty and I am afraid the flowers will also get eaten. Thank you for your feedback.