How do I get rid of this invasive, spreading & choking the good plants

+7
I think its in the Nettle family. It produces yellow spiky flowers in the spring. Between this & the creeping charlie all I seem to do is pull weeds. Any ideas as to how to rid the garden of this would be appreciated.
q how do i get rid of this invasive spreading choking the good plants
Its the varigated plants, choking the hydrangea
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 15, 2018
    lamium.....you you can do since there are other plants involved is dig it up

• I would recommend calling someone who specializes in the invasive type plants. If you try and DIY you could damage the other plants. Landscape companies have a wide variety of things they use to eradicate the invasive plants without harming the "good ones"

• Anna Vincent Anna Vincent on Jun 15, 2018
    That looks like spotted nettle, a decent shade ground cover. Just pull it up -- it isn't terrible resistant. You may have to go back a couple of times but it will eventually give up. Oddly, I have been trying to get this to spread in my shade garden but it keeps freezing over the winter and not coming back.

• Sharyl Sharyl on Jun 16, 2018
    It is lamium, and pulling it up repeatedly until it’s gone is the only way to get rid of it. The good news is it gets long runners that attach to the ground only randomly, so if you are gentle when pulling on them you can eventually find the origin and dig it out.

And Anna, perhaps you could try covering yours with something to help protect it for the winter? I’ve used deadheaded fiddlehead ferns as winter cover with great success. Good cover without smothering what‘s underneath. 👍

• Lola Lola on Jun 16, 2018
    Pull it up then use shredded paper around your plants you would like to keep. I use very thick where other grasses and weeds tend to grow so they cannot come up. after I have it where I want it then I gently wet it down til soaked. keeps my my ground moist and grass and weeds at a minimum. just water as usual, even in dry areas my plants stay green.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jun 16, 2018
    Hello Lola, Having a garden can be a pain if you are not a gardener.A fine Shade loving ground cover plant (False Nettle) It grows there because not much else will accept ferns etc. Just Pull it up if you don't like it , or maybe get a gardener to re- do your whole garden for you, so you don't have too many plants to worry about. or pot it up and give it away to someone who would like it or Sell it on ebay.

• Carol Brooks Carol Brooks on Jun 16, 2018
    Pull up what you can. Then cover the ground with landscape fabric and heavy mulch, leaving as small an area as possible uncovered around desirable plants. Then pull Up every tiny scrap of it that comes back around the holes and edges of the beds. It will take some time but eventually, you can get rid of it.

• Beverley Beverley on Jun 16, 2018
    Carol Brooks is correct and what she describes really goes for any weeds. Lamium is a desirable ground cover to many people - I have some that flowers pinkish/violet sporadically all summer and I try to encourage it around my other plants. It spreads very shallowly, so if you make a concerted effort it shouldn't be terribly difficult to get rid of.

• Cindy Cindy on Jun 16, 2018
    You could put newspaper or cardboard over the plants you want to get rid of. Wait a week or two for them to die off. Then remove the newspaper and dead plants. After that lay down weed fabric. Mulch on top of the weed fabric. This way they will not come back. Good luck.

• Eloise Eloise on Jun 18, 2018
    Here's a method I found on The Family Handyman: The best way to kill weeds while protecting surrounding plants is by wiping the blades with a nonselective herbicide like Super Kills-All or Roundup. Wear a cheap cloth glove over a plastic or rubber chemically resistant (they’re labeled as such) glove to protect your skin. Dip your gloved hand into the herbicide and then simply grab the blades near the base and pull the herbicide over the blades. Don’t worry about coating every single blade. The chemical will absorb into the plant, make its way down to the roots and kill the entire plant. Most will die in a few days, but survivors may need more treatments.

For lower growing plants, this method is tedious, but effective: You can use a cheap artist's paint brush to "paint" the undesirable plants. Keep in mind that if the solution will kill everything it touches.