How do I keep ants out of my garden and from killing squash?

+3
  • Michelle Rudis Michelle Rudis on Dec 01, 2017
    If you have children or animals in the same area, sprinkle cinnamon around the base of the plant. If you don't, sprinkle a combination of sugar and borax or cornmeal and borax around the base of the plant.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 01, 2017
    I always save my tuna cans and other plastic items like that. I put a can or other things under each fruit or vegetable that may touch the ground to raise them up. Seems to keep some bugs from eating the vegetables. If you have an infestation, I'd till the ground around each plant well to see if you can find and destroy their nest.
    Another thing that works well is nontoxic Diatomaceous Earth. You can spread it thickly on the earth and plants. It will wash away when it gets wet so you have to reapply. The best place to get this is at a farm supply store. It works so well, I use it on fire ants.

• Jacque Jacque on Dec 01, 2017
    Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. You can order it online (Amazon). Super safe and very effective.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 01, 2017
    We tried everything, even poison and bait to no avail. We hated using things that harm the environment, but we were desperate. Then an old timer told us cornmeal kills ants. If you know the location of the mounds, add it directly on the mound or on the trial where the ants come. Put it around the area of your squash. They take it back to the queen and the whole colony dies. We use Jiffy cornmeal because it is sweet. One box is good for 5 or so applications. If the colony is large, you may need to use a second application. Watch for ants after the cornmeal is carried away and if you see any , reapply. I have seldom ever had to apply twice and never had to apply more than twice. I keep Jiffy in my pantry especially in the spring because new colonies do move in. It is safe for kids, pets, and the environment. Best of all, it works!

• Pam Kaledas-Lenon Pam Kaledas-Lenon on Dec 03, 2017
    I mixed cornmeal & boric acid together & sprinkled it around my plants. It killed the ants!!

• packaged cornbread mix that says it is sweetened and put it where they are coming in if you can find it, or even on your counter in a small lid. They will take it to the mound, everyone will eat it and die, they can't digest the cornmeal, but will take it because it is sweetened. Little goes a long way.