How do I kill weeds on my patio?

+11

I have a small puppy and he prefers to eat them. So I want to use something that is non- toxic to him.

• Here's what I use: Take a spray bottle and cover the bottom with salt and fill it up with vinegar. Add a few drops of dish soap and shake. Spray on the weeds.

https://www.hometalk.com/43299149/all-natural-weed-killer

If you're worried about the soap, leave it out. It just helps it stick to the weeds better.

• Janice Janice on Jun 27, 2021

Hi Nana Sue, I use the same ingredients as Ann. I usually make a large batch using 1 gallon of white vinegar, 1/2 cup table or epsom salt, and a big squirt of Dawn. Works every time!

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Jun 27, 2021

Hello.Hand pulling your weeds or place in cardboard over them might be recommended. The vinegars can leave lingering odors and also be ingested by your pets.

Here’s a link providing options for pet friendly weed killers.

https://www.k9ofmine.com/dog-safe-weed-killers/

• William William on Jun 27, 2021

I use one cup of vinegar, one cup of salt to two gallons water in a garden sprayer. Saturate the weeds till dripping. Do not use on lawn or in garden. Will kill everything. Boiling water on weeds in lawn and garden.

• I use vinegar and water.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 27, 2021

Hi Nana Sue: The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes.

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

• Em Em on Jun 27, 2021

You can use a steam cleaner and burn them. Not expensive and you can clean the rest of of you house with it. Hand held, add water and steam away. Cleans bathrooms kitchens, sanitizes and can get hot enough to kill weeds with hot water.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Jun 29, 2021

Vinegar

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Jun 29, 2021

A power washer works, and so does hot water.

• White vinegar, no water, in a spray bottle, but it will kill everything it touches so be strategic.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 30, 2021

Not sure if vinegar will bother him but it will kill the weeds.

• Really the best way is to pull them making sure you get the roots, otherwise you’re little cutie might ingest anything else. Vinegar and salt could make your puppy sick.