How do you keep deer away from your strawberry plants?

+5
  • Tricia Boyer Tricia Boyer on May 28, 2017
    Deer don't like hair. Get a bunch of hair from hairdresser. Put around the beds.

• Pat Ruge Pat Ruge on May 28, 2017
    I don't have a deer problem, but I have read that if you take Irish Spring soap and shred it thru a cheese grater, that works. You must replace after a rain. Also, I've heard they don't like the smell of humans, so if you place a really sweaty pair of pants and/or shirt near your plants, they will stay away. Hey, I just report the news! Never heard of the hair thingy, but that might work too.

• Joyce White Joyce White on May 28, 2017
    My grandmother used to have a 79 acre farm. And she would tie in trees and on bushes or to whatever she could think of tin pie plates. They would scare the deer and any other animals away. The reflection of the sun and the sound they make when bumped against each other deterred them. It doesn't matter what size but if you use small ones use a few.

• Marcie Marcie on May 28, 2017
    Deer and rabbits are persistent in their need to eat, so using and rotating multiple techniques is the most effective. All what is said above is good. Then add some plants that deer don't like around the edges of the beds. And fence, even temporary, is always one of the strongest deterrents. And there is a deer spray you can buy - but I make my own natural one. I use hot pepper, cayenne peppers, etc and blend them with water. Strain with cheesecloth and spray.
    Spray often, and after it rains.

True deer hate hair from people and animals. Rabbits are not fond either. Brush your dog or cat and throw the hair around the area not too close to plants and shrubs

• I don't think it would matter if the hair was near the plants as it's organic. But you will probably have to replace it every so often as it will decompose. But that's a good thing, for several reasons: it will feed the plants, the dog gets groomed, and you'll have less dog hair in your house... Hopefully. ;-)

• Carol Carol on May 28, 2017
    The deer & rabbits have to sample the plant to be deterred by the pepper or other sprays, and they will try the plants repeatedly before they learn that it doesn't taste good. The best protection for your strawberries is to "cage" them, using some type of wire fencing with small holes. Make the cage large enough so the plants can't grow up to and through the openings.

• C2i16033439 C2i16033439 on May 28, 2017
    Shaved Irish Spring Soap! No deer to be seen!