How do you remove thick ivy from a free trunk

+6
The ivy is so thick & strong it pulls the bark off of the trunk when I try to remove it. Any suggestions?

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 14, 2018
    Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant - if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned vine onto your other plants. If you know someone who is diabetic, maybe they will give you one of their syringes and you can inject the ground clear into the thick vines:)

• Debi Debi on Jun 17, 2018
      Thanks! I'll definitely look into getting some 'ground clear'!

• Jcraw Jcraw on Jun 14, 2018
    Do Not try to remove it.
    Cut/carefully demolish All ivy vines at the base of the tree. And back further, for ripping them out of the ground or applying a killer.
    On the tree itself, with snippers, cut the vines. As short as you have patience for.
    Every 6 inches or so. Cutting off their feeding tube.
    Cutting them you have eliminated their source of nourishment and growth. The vines attached to the tree will wither and die. Don’t remove until there is obviously no life left. If the vines are really resistant, leave them be. They are no longer hurting your tree, nor will you be.

• Joy Elizabeth Joy Elizabeth on Jun 14, 2018
    I agree, cut at the base and allow it to wither. This works on the poison ivy I am attacking in our yard! I also paint on a tiny but of brush killer onto the place I make the cut to kill the vine in the ground.

• Barbara Baldwin Barbara Baldwin on Jun 17, 2018
    I cut all the ivy at the bottom of tree. Just cut em and watched them die

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 17, 2018
    If you cut it at the base, the growth on the tree will die., and be more easily removed.