How do I stop beetles from eating my Lillies?

+1

In a new garden area I planted many oriental lillys and people would stop to say how beautiful they were. Also planted day lillys. In two years I had these orange beetles eating my orientals with no spray killing them. If you flick them off the plant they fall upside down and are a perfect color to blend in with the earth. Also they winter over and there in the spring here come my beautiful flowers and these beetles too. I have found the most effective way is to put them onto a rock and hit them with a hammer-very time consuming. They leave huge dark piles (poop) on the plants. I see now they are moving to my roses. I can't have these destructive critters killing all my hard work and beauties I have lovingly tended. Help! It still is winter here in New York State. Does anyone have these beetles? What will get rid of them? Thanks for any help! Barb

• HC HC on Jan 06, 2019

You could try making a circular application of diatomaceous earth (DE) around the outside of the planter boxes. DE will lacerate the exoskeleton and kill the insect. Keep in mind, DE is a powder that you should not inhale, and it's safer to handle food grade DE.

• Mogie Mogie on Jan 06, 2019

Provado Ultimate Bug Killer

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Jan 06, 2019

Talk to you local nursery for that answer. They carry all kinds of pesticides

• Susan Susan on Jan 06, 2019

I have used "GardenTech Sevin, Ready-To-Use" on my rose bushes to kill the beetles. It says it will kill over 100 insect pest, so it should work on your pests.