How is the best way to control weeds in my flower beds?

+2
Should I plant a ground cover and if so which one? I live in Huntsville Alabama.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 27, 2017
    newspaper,cardboard,heavy landscape fabric top with mulch

• Jerseygal Jerseygal on Dec 27, 2017
    Pachysandra??? I really don't know, but I walked up to a persons house who had a small front yard and on each side of he path Pachysandra abounded. Can't see why it can't be used as a type of Ground cover in a flower bed too. It does great in shade, but watch it for lack of water in fry periods. It is hardy for sure, soft and beautiful and will propagate for replanting around areas of your yard. Can anyone give credence to this? I only saw it and had a bit on my side sunny yard. Hope this is of help.

• Ifixstuff Ifixstuff on Dec 27, 2017
    Pachysandra works great as a weed inhibitor. Weeds will still grow in-between the pachy plants so be diligent in pulling them when they pop up. We have used Pachysandra especially around trees instead of mulch. This has saved us hundreds if not thousands of dollars over the last 20 years. Grow it to the drip line of each tree for a basically mulch and weed free ground cover. Once it is established, it does pretty well in dryer conditions since it shades the ground, but you are correct in noting that it does work best in shaded to semi-shaded areas. It also can grow taller than your flowers but folks say you can just mow over it every once in a while to "trim" it. I like using a hand trimming method better, and if the cuttings are kept moist, they can easily be used to plant new areas.

• Greg Greg on Dec 27, 2017
    Pull them out. I don't like chemical sprays so the next best thing is Vinegar & Salt, I don't like using Salt so cover with mulch or bark chips. Nice things needs special attention. Wish you the best with that. I just saw the rest of the question :- Yes the more plants the more flowers. Cheers Greg

• Hillela G. Hillela G. on Dec 28, 2017
    pulling them out from the roots makes sure that they're fully gone