How do I get rid of Creeping Charlie?

+2

Creeping Charlie weed is invading my hold yard and all my flower beds. It has underground roots that spread.

• Rae Rae on Dec 26, 2018

I have the same thing growing in my Bugle weed bed. The only thing I have ever seen for this is pull pull pull! If it is away from your flower bed and in the grass I would consult a nursery about what kind of spray you can use. I have found if you attack it early in the season when you have a chance of better defining it in your flower bed then is the time to go to work. Good luck. It is a ongoing thing!

• DesertRose DesertRose on Dec 26, 2018

That creeping charlie is a pain to get it out of the yard. You have to keep pulling it up before it goes far. You are right, the roots break off and make more. We did try using a weed killer that does not kill grass and it helped us get a jump start on it too. Be careful with chemicals though. We just stay diligent pulling it up when we find it. We are seeing less and less of it, this yard was full of it when we moved into this new home.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Dec 27, 2018

Any plant called Creeping is terribly creepy. It is great for bare nearly vertical walls or banks because it will hold the soil in place better than most other treatments. But if you are trying to have flowers or anything ornamental, the Creeping plant will take over and strangle everything else. Pulling feels as if it is working for as long as it takes to grow back. But if you will give yourself half a season, you can dig really deeply to get it done.