How to kill poison ivy but not kill English Ivy?

Becky Rowland
by Becky Rowland
I have English ivy around the base of my tree. Recently found poison ivy growing in with the English Ivy. I want to get rid of poison ivy but not kill out the English Ivy?
Help !!!!

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 23, 2017

Put on gloves and a mask and pull it out. You cannot use anything as that will kill the ivy

• Dig it out by hand. If you can isolate individual clumps you can use boiling water. Anything stronger will kill the ivy you want to keep.

• JOHNNY JOHNNY on Aug 23, 2017

Only way i know w/o killingit all is to adorn some long up to you elbows rubber gloves, long sleeves and start to pull it out by the root's. an alternative is use brush killer and spot treat at the base of the poison ivy then pull it out when it is totally dead. ( make sure it is killed to the root)

• 2dogal 2dogal on Aug 23, 2017

Get some Round-Up for Poison Ivy and wearing gloves and a long sleeved shirt, carefully paint the leaves if you are not able to spray the area. You need to kill the roots.

• Sandie60 Sandie60 on Aug 23, 2017

Looks like hard water residue. Run a cycle with Tang in soap dispenser.

• Sandie60 Sandie60 on Aug 23, 2017

Sorry wrong site

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Nov 07, 2023

3 cups white vinegar

1/2 cup table salt

1 tablespoon liquid detergent or soap (I use Dawn) for stick-to-itiveness.

Directions

1. Mix vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved. Stir in liquid dish soap, and pour into a spray bottle.
    2. Spray onto the green growing leaves of the plants.
    3. Wait a week, then repeat on any survivors. Best time to apply: during a dry spell.

• Deb K Deb K on Nov 11, 2023

Hi Becky, hope this helps. Dissolve one cup salt in a gallon of water and add a tablespoon of dish soap to create a solution that can be sprayed on poison ivy. While this method of killing poison ivy is effective in the short run, it will probably require future treatments to keep the ivy at bay. Be careful not to get the solution on plants you love, it kills everything.

• Becky Rowland Becky Rowland on Nov 14, 2023

Thank you!!

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 15, 2023

English Ivy is very invasive and I have been battling this for over a decade now. But sounds like you will need to pull the stuff by hand. Be careful and let someone do this if you are allergic to poison ivy.