How to kill weedy vines growing on the ground, without harming nature?

+4
I have a ground vine that is taking over. I tried to mow in to the ground and it grew back with a vengeance. I have vines growing in the bushes. I don't want to kill bees Or butterflies.
q how to kill weedy vines growing on the grown without harming nature
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 28, 2017
    Hi Jenny, well I've always read that changing the balance of the soil will make it more difficult for plants to grow there. In the past I've used copious amounts of sidewalk salt on tree stumps to get them to stop coming back and it does seem to work.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 28, 2017
    The only way you will be able to get rid of that is rototilling the area and raking it out. Mowing it is what caused it to spread further.Using even the white vinegar,water,salt and soap will kill everything surrounding it

• Reenaroc Reenaroc on Dec 28, 2017
    Hi Jenny, Looks to me from your picture that it may be what we call here in Illinois "Creeping Charlie". It is very naughty & wants to go everywhere. I've lived many places and this is the first yard that I have had to share w/ it. I pulled it all from my flower beds when I was putting in new soil. I would say I was able to get 98% that way. It pulls up fairly easy, the little roots seem to be close to the surface. and yes, I think mowing it makes it spread more. I have a different vine in my bushes... it's a type of Milkweed vine and it's a even bigger pain. It's not the kind that the Monarchs like TG. It takes over my roses & my Honeysuckle. After much pulling and searching on line I found out that you can kill it in 2 different natural ways. You can soak the ends in strong vinegar until the root is dead (is hard because you have to keep the vinegar away from the good plants) or you can smother it by layering newspaper or cardboard on top of the shoots so they can't get any sun. I laid newspaper then a very thick layer of bark mulch and it seems to be working pretty well. When I see a stem poking through the bark I follow it down as far as I can and pull it, then cover the hole with bunches of bark. I wish now that I had used the cardboard because the newspaper broke down too fast. I don't use any chemicals either including salt... bad bad bad. I spent a long time pulling the creeping charlie out of my grass in the back yard and then put down the potting type of mulch and then tons of grass seed. It has helped a lot. I allow the charlie to grow around the flower beds but not in them. When I see he has moved in I just pull it out and route him in a different direction. I've given up on the idea of completely getting rid of it. This yard was neglected for a long time and I think that is why it got so thick. Anyway, hope this helps, researching on line for natural, organic methods will help you a lot. Good Luck, Reena

• Yikes! If this were my yard, I would take out the plants you want to keep and smother the entire yard with either plastic or newspapers. Then have dug out, roots and all, add fresh compost, till and replant. If doing yourself, work in sections. Then have a landscaping plan so it does not have a chance to take hold and become overgrown - again. Typically I would suggest spraying with vinegar, even stronger agricultural vinegar, but this is too big an area to be cost effective. Use bee and butterfly friendly plants that grow well in your area to keep them happy and healthy.

• Charlotte Charlotte on Dec 29, 2017

Vinegar will kill anything. Can use it straight or dilute 1/2 & 1/2 w/ water.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Dec 29, 2017
    If you use vinegar, just remember that it kills anything including the good bacteria and such that nourishes the soil for plants. You will have to renourish the soil unless you can wait for it to heal itself to plant. Using a lot of salt is a no-no. It gets into the water table, streams rivers and lakes and it does not go away. It changes the salinity of the water and it doesn't dissipate, ever. Some cities even are having problems with high salinity in the drinking water, it will forever change the fresh water plants and animals and fish too.