I'm having a problem with creeping charlie in my iris patch- help?

+3
Is there anything I can use to get rid of it, other than pulling by hand, that won't harm my iris?

• Davidm Davidm on Jun 01, 2017
    Boiling water in main root. May take a lot to get down to the bottom. Like most vines, these put down roots as they grow. You will have to be diligent at the start to hit every one.

• William William on Jun 01, 2017
    Pulling and digging is the only way. Its very vigorous so you need to be diligent. Any thing else will kill the Iris and may not affect the Charlie.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 01, 2017
    the problem is the boiling water method and vinegar and water method will also kill the iris sorry it will have to be pulled

• Cqr24198470 Cqr24198470 on Jun 01, 2017
    I was afraid of that! But I do love my iris!

• See 1 previous
    • BrenM BrenM on Aug 24, 2020

I also have this problem. They are easy to pull but.... I have a large area to tend. I have read that corn gluten meal has the same affect as Preen on sprouting seeds. SO my plan for next spring (2021) if I can find corn gluten meal is to put it down 2 or 3 weeks “before” the weeds start sprouting. We will see what happens!!