Is Straw a good way to keep weed out of the vegetable garden?

+3
  • Straw is good but you should put down a barrier first, newspaper is the cheapest and costs less than landscape fabric. A thick layer of straw will work well and then can be tilled into the ground for next year.

• Margaret Bowdon Margaret Bowdon on May 26, 2017
    Just make sure the straw is seed free!

• Jimrusk Jimrusk on May 26, 2017
    David straw or mulch works great. Just make sure it is thick enough to block out any sunlight to stop any germination of the weed seeds. Plus it helps to hold in moisture as well.

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 26, 2017
    There have been mixed reviews on straw. I would opt for newspaper,landscape fabric and mulch.

• Dorothy Dorothy on May 26, 2017
    I use black landscaping mat comes in roll and cut strips wide enough to cover between rows of vegetables, and hold it down with pcs of wire hanger bent into U shape pushed into ground,

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on May 26, 2017
    I use newspaper, lay it down thick, not just one little piece and spray water on it. Then add a light layer of mulch on top. The lanscaping mat works well too.