How do I get rid of ivy?

+4
Ivy. It is everywhere in our 42 year old yard. I am pulling it out and spraying the roots with Spectracide Grass and Weed Killer. It is also crawling up the brick fireplace, all the way to the roof. How do I pull that off? It seems glued to the bricks and vinyl siding. And I still see sprouts coming up, despite my best efforts. How do I get rid of it?

• Mogie Mogie on Jun 22, 2018
    I am sorry but there is no easy fix with ivy. The leaves have a wax like coating that repeals chemicals. The only real way is to pull it up. You will have to go back when underground shoots pop up as new growth. Be patient and keep at it. I am also dealing with this same problem. Concerning the ivy that is growing up the chimney and siding cut if off at the root base so the rest of the vine dies. After it is dead you will have to pull it off. Try to pull as much of the underground roots as possible. Go back every month or so and do this all over. It gets better. :)

• Donna Donna on Jun 22, 2018
      Thank you! I will get busy and I appreciate your encouragement.

• Barb Barb on Jun 22, 2018
    English ivy or what? Keep pulling it out and use layers of corrugated cardboard covered with wood bark or other mulch.

• Donna Donna on Jun 22, 2018
      Yes, English ivy. Plain green and variegated white and green. It is pretty but too strong on the wall. Thanks for your advice!

• Karen Nel Karen Nel on Jun 22, 2018
    Use diesel of roundup

• Donna Donna on Jun 22, 2018
      Diesel gasoline? I hesitate to use Roundup because we have a well and because we have a gazillion tiny frogs in the grass and flower beds right now. Thank you for your advice!

• Barb Barb on Jun 22, 2018
    Hope it's useful, there's always goats too (LOL)