Rabbits and squirrels

+4
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep rabbits and squirrels from destroying my garden and flower beds. I have fence surrounding the garden and flower beds but some how the rascally little rabbits keep getting in and no idea what to do about the squirrels.

• Dfm Dfm on Jan 05, 2018
    bb gun shoot, shovel, shut up. trap and relocate...to the fry pan. try moth balls first, and a few whirl y gigs that squeak.

• Amanda Amanda on Jan 05, 2018
    Hi Clint. I have suck a issue with squirrels in my pots and garden. What I do is sprinkle red hot pepper flakes in the pots and also in my garden on the soil. This keeps them away. You can buy them at the dollar store. I usually get 10 bottles. You will need to reapply every few weeks. I also bought a garden owl to put in the garden. I move it every 2 days. Good Luck!

• KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Jan 05, 2018
    Wasscuhwee Wabbits! LOL Hello Clint :) I can't help but picture in my mind Elmer Fudd trying to get rid of Bugs Bunny :) But I DO know that rabbits and squirrels (and mice and rats and birds) LOVE gardens and short of totally covering them up sides and tops with netting, and burying a solid barrier at least 6" deep surrounding your garden, there isn't much you can do to completely keep them away. Have you tried putting broken egg shells around the inside of the edging to keep them away (it would tak A LOT of eggs -- perhaps you have neighbors who would save their shells for you, too) or chicken wire anyway to keep out rabbits (the squirrels would just climb over it). Here are a few links that might help you out with this dilemma:
    Good Luck to you and thank for asking HOMETALK for solutions :)

• Melissa Ferguson Melissa Ferguson on Jan 05, 2018
    Solor animal repellent. Ultrasonics in perimeter areas of the garden without poison.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 05, 2018
    It maybe that you will have to put in Mature Shrubs rather than small flowers.

• Mar32116868 Mar32116868 on Jan 05, 2018
    I use a few a methods to deter fury friends and insects from damaging my garden. I have SUCCESS with the following:
    1) Prevent damage at base of young shrubs/trees. Create an inexpensive cylindrical or square tube (open at each end) using scraps of sturdy yet pliable plastic e.g. old drainage pipe,2 liter pop bottles etc.(Chicken wire can be rolled loosely into a tube. The wire is a bit flimsy and can cut young stems/leaves if pushed over.) Using your selected material,cut one, straight vertical seam the full length of the "tube". Wrap it around the plant or trunk by opening the seam just wide enough to place it on. Position the bottom at ground level or slightly below the soil if possible. The tube should be long and wide enough to account for growth.The cut seam on the cylinder will part slightly as the plant or trunk grows thus allowing unimpeded growth.! Prevent mold growth by ensuring the soil within the cylinder is free from soggy mulch or leaves.Works best on young tree trunks or shrubs that have leaf free,closely bunched branches at the base.
    2) Onions, shallots, garlic, dill, lavender or marigolds planted between vulnerable plants deter critters.These plants are bitter and pungent.Crushed garlic and water in a spray bottle can also be sprayed directly on the leaves.This may change vegetable flavor slightly but beats using commercial products. Homemade soap spray is an effective insecticide for insects such as aphids.
    3) Human hair trimmings sprinkled on the soil around each plant work very well to deter squirrels and bunnies in my veggie garden.I have found this most successful.The salon near my house gladly supplies hair trimmings.I have read unwashed hair works better but I have had tremendous luck with washed trimmings! Remember to check after a heavy rain and add more hair as needed.When broken down in the soil,hair is a good fertilizer too!
    4) Plant a little garden of clover and dandelions in ground or low containers just for them. Place in an area far from your main garden if you have space.If it is too close,this may just as an appetizer for the main meal!
    Two UNSUCCESSFUL methods I have tried yet work for many gardeners.
    1) Fencing does work if you have time and patience.It has to be dug 6-12 inches below the soil and tall enough so bunnies can't hop over. It can be toppled readily if not reinforced. I got too frustrated repairing, repositioning & replacing the fences so I don't bother trying any more. I still use ornamental,wire or wood trellises which do give some protection.
    2) I purchased small,plastic mats at the dollar store last spring. One side had tiny,plastic spikes and when placed face up it provided an uneven,prickly surface.I had them down for a few hours only.I felt so guilty leaving them there especially after I tried standing on one with a bare foot. I know my weight increased the pressure against the spikes and l felt more discomfort than a bunny would. If my bunny gets a few more strawberries,so be it. At least his little paws won't sting or bleed because of me.