How do I get rid of roaches?

+2
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Jan 08, 2019

To get rid of roaches you have to get rid of all food sources available to them. This is very inclusive as it includes carpet glue, paper products, and of course any food in the home. When we were first married and my husband was in the service, the home we lived in had roaches. I put all pantry food in plastic containers that were air tight and therefore roach proof: cereal, pasta, everything. Then I cleaned with a disinfectant often and shampooed the carpets and cleaned everywhere. I did not throw out food without first putting it in plastic bags (bread bags) etc. I kept bread and many other items in the refrigerator and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. I also used borax sprinkled on shelves under the sink, in the pantry etc. My husband put compound around every pipe to keep them from coming in from outside. If I had them today I would clean with a non toxic disinfectant called Simple Green from home improvement stores or Walmart. It comes in concentrate and regular strength in spray bottles. For roaches I would use it full strength. (to make your own spray, use 8 parts water to 1 part concentrate). I never accepted the "oh everyone has them" attitude. We did NOT have bugs, at least not for long.

• Ann Cherkas Halstead Ann Cherkas Halstead on Jan 08, 2019

Also. Get the combat roach motels. They are pretty amazing!

• P P on Jan 08, 2019

Boric acid powder- Roach Pruf - behind & under stove, frig, freezer & washer & dryer. sprinkled on top of cabinets, along windowsills, behind cabinets, shake into carpets & under couch cushions.... And everything DesertRose said!

• HAROLD GORDON HAROLD GORDON on Jan 09, 2019

MIX A 50/50 AMOUNT OF 20 MULE TEAM BORAX , WITH SUGAR . PLACE IN EVERY PLACE POSSIBLE . THE ROACHES WILL INGEST THIS , AND TAKE IT BACK TO THEIR NESTING PLACE . IT WILL ALSO KILL OTHER BUGS AND MICE . READ BOX INSTRUCTIONS , AND KEEP AWAY FROM KIDS AND PETS !!! SWEEP AND CLEAN AFTER ONE WEEK .

• Manfred's Mom Manfred's Mom on Jan 09, 2019

Go to Home Depot and buy Home Defense bug killer in the insecticides section. A huge container costs less than 10 dollars, will last a long time and trust me, it works. I live in a wooded and wet area in South Georgia with millions of roaches around but not in my house. Also make sure you don't have any closed wooden containers outside as they love to nest in these. One more thing, never bring cardboard boxes into your home. The few times I have seen a roach inside was when I had a cardboard box delievered.