Weed killer?

+3
I spray Round Up on weeds in my flower/landscape beds and I feel like it is laughing at me. I need something better - can you help me?

• Boiling water; Epsom salt with boiling water; vinegar. My go to for weed abatement.

• Sharon Sharon on Jul 06, 2018

Round up is an evil toxin that is killing bees by the millions and butterflies, and even people are now dying due to its the use. A better solution would be to lay down landscape fabric before you plant, and/or mulch to prevent weeds. Then the old fashion hoe does a great job of getting in between plants.

• Oliva Oliva on Jul 06, 2018

There are different types of Round Up. Some are much more concentrated. If you're looking to kill weeds only, and not lawn/flowers, you may need to hand weed. Brush killer is effective, but kills everything. Next time, place heavy black plastic where you want your flowers, 30 days agead. Sun should kill weeds and their seeds. Plant flowers (not seeds). Apply Preen granules. Mulch with hard wood bark mulch, 3-4 inches. Apply Preen 2nd time, if desired.

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 06, 2018
    Hi Vicky: I bought a product called Kleen-Up by Bonide. I sprayed as directed and it said "Results in 24 hours" Well, there weren't any results. But, 3 days later, everything I sprayed turned brown and died! This stuff kills just what you spray it on and goes into the roots and doesn't stay on the ground to kill surrounding plants. Patience paid off, and I do recommend this product. I'm not a fan of chemicals because of the harm they do to those living under the ground, worms and such, but there are times when there are no alternatives. Speaking of alternatives, I've heard this works. Don't know if it will kill the flowers, though:(
    1 gallon of Vinegar
    2 cups epsom salt
    1/4 cup of the original BLUE Dawn dish soap
    Mix in a sprayer.
    It should kill anything you spray it on. Mix and spray in the morning and after the dew has evaporated. By evening, the weeds should be all gone. Of course, patience is a virtue:) Good luck.

• Roz Roz on Jul 07, 2018
    Don't use Round UP, please. Is it poison. It gets in our water and our food. Virginia lost 60% of its honey bees last year and pesticides played a part. Try spreading newspapers on the ground on top of the weeds. Anchor with some soil from your yard or the garden store. You can keep doing this, the paper will become mulch. Also, you can make a concoction with salt, but it will kill everything you spray it on. Cardboard will work, too, and it will also decompose.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 07, 2018
    Hi Vicky,
    Roundup is a very dangerous chemical used to kill weeds, but, be aware that when a poison that is being sprayed on the weeds, it enters the plants either through the root system or through the leaves and stem. It is also on the soil. As the plant dies all that poison is released and enters the ground, it gets rinsed down either naturally by rain, dew, or watering. The poison then enters the water ways through run off or filters deeply into the water below the ground that everyone eventually drinks or uses.
    The safer way to go is use a barrier, such as wet newspaper or cardboard, something non-toxic.