What are these?

+16
I just notice these white specs onn the leaves and branches of one of petunias. What are they? Pets? How do I get rid of them? Thanks
PS - sorry the pictures are not very clear; but you can see the white specs I am talking about.
q what are these
q what are these
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jun 10, 2017
    It appears to be more than one insect.Mites,thrip etc. spray them down with a all purpose insect killer making sure the uppers and lowers leaves are covered as well as the soil.

• Lcmc815 Lcmc815 on Jun 10, 2017
    Looks like amphids! Use an all purpose insect killer on them!

• LaurieAnn Lepoff LaurieAnn Lepoff on Jun 10, 2017
    looks like mealy bugs to me. The infestation is too advanced for the usual on-going method of alcohol and qtips, but a spray of alcohol and water might do the trick.

• FRED RIGGS FRED RIGGS on Jun 10, 2017
    take a leaf to an independent garden store. Ask them. They will have the correct answer every time and be glad to help you. Home remedies usually don't work. Get professional help.

• FRED RIGGS FRED RIGGS on Jun 10, 2017
    I think he meant aphids, but still get professional advice. Aphids are black.

• See 1 previous
    • Teresa Teresa on Jun 15, 2017
      I live in Iowa and that was done here . Asian beetles, wich look VERY similar to ladybugs were introduced to get rid of an insect that was destroying crops. Now every fall we get THOUSANDS of Asian Beetles in our homes and NOTHING kills them. Do not order insects without consulting a Garden Store or a greenhouse.

• Steven Steven on Jun 10, 2017
    Take a leave to your local garden store and ask them. If that doesn't work try spraying soaping water on them. Looks like aphides.

• Lou Lou on Jun 10, 2017
    It appears your plants have aphids, but what you are seeing is the skin they have shed and left behind. Hose the plants down with water to remove these and wash the aphids off, but they will come back. You can use an insecticidal soap or check with a local nursery to find a product you can safely use in your garden.

• Barbara Wexel Barbara Wexel on Jun 10, 2017
    They look like mealy bugs to me. Try spraying with Safer Soap.

• Liliana Wells Liliana Wells on Jun 10, 2017
    Thank you every one for taking the time to respond.

• Kay Petrain Kay Petrain on Jun 10, 2017
    Spraying them with soapy water works too . When plants are stressed the bugs take over .

• Alradborn Alradborn on Jun 10, 2017
    Aphids tend to leave a sticky residue, also aphids have a variety of colors.

• Lan9843207 Lan9843207 on Jun 10, 2017
    Looks like the white flies we got last year. Took out an entire area. Google search white flies to see if that is what it is and if that is what it is Neem oil is the way to kill them. I spray my plants with it every couple of months to keep pests off of it.

• Katy Katy on Jun 10, 2017
    Aphids,you can wipe them off with alcohol,or bring in lots of ladybugs,they will munch them right down and not harm your plants.

• FRED RIGGS FRED RIGGS on Jun 11, 2017
    Hi Katy: The ones we killed were black. Maybe different varieties of the insect. They were eating our bush like they owned it. Check with an independent garden store. They are always the best source of the best information.

• Beth August Beth August on Jun 11, 2017
    Mealy bugs

• Car15595401 Car15595401 on Jun 11, 2017
    there are several colors of aphids and I have them all brown green black and white i use a mixture of garlic mint cayenne water and soap

• Marcia Lazenby Marcia Lazenby on Jun 13, 2017
    Aphids....take dawn dish washing liquid and wesson oil (cooking oil) and distilled vinegar....of go to the store and get 7 or 8 dust.....and sprinkle on them....