What can I do about squirrels/rabbits that eat all veggies I plant?

+2
  • Joeast Joeast on May 27, 2017
    I'm fighting the same battle! Fencing is the first ploy. Tho my yard is completely fenced, I put a two foot chicken wire fence around the veg garden-- this effectively dealt with the rabbits (but keep checking for sneaky ways in/around/under). squirrels are challenging! I think the trick is to keep changing your strategy--they adapt rapidly. We've used hot wire, trapping, various potions that smell terrible, hot pepper dusted on the plants, the lifelike owl, and more. I have a shade house completely covered with heavy grade shade cloth and they tore through that. If you're a good shot?!

• Mike Lubman Mike Lubman on May 27, 2017
    We had a similar problem last year. I bought some hardware wire at Lowes and made removable cages for my in ground vegs. The hardware wire is about 4' wide and I bought it in 8' lengths. The wire has 1/4" openings so the little critters can't get through. Thet cut it to fit over your veg plant and add end pieces with galvanised wire. A nice job in a couple of hours. You will need some tin snips. Good luck.

• Roland Bullock Roland Bullock on May 27, 2017
    Use chicken wire. Wrap around the garde, go high to Lee the critters out.

• Darlene Darlene on May 29, 2017
    i built large lightweight cages with a pvc frame and plastic wire fencing

• Becky Becky on May 29, 2017
    Sprinkle cayenne pepper around. You can get a huge bottle of it at Sam's. It doesn't take much .