What can I do to keep squirrels from eating my bulbs?

150 Beautiful daffodils last year, none, not 1 flower this year. Frustrated at the work and care and excited to see them this year! Not, squirells took every one.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jun 01, 2017
    Try sprinkling soap shavings around them to keep them out!

• Eliza Spear Eliza Spear on Jun 02, 2017
    That is unusual for squirrels to even touch them since they cannot eat them as they are bitter and toxic. i assume you are seeing evidence of something digging in the bed. Cinnamon and or cayenne can deter them but must be reapplied fairly frequently . Personally I would be digging the bed up to check for grubs or something underground that may be destroying them.

• Dpbeee2 Dpbeee2 on Jun 02, 2017
    If you didn't make sure they were planted upright this could happen. I used to plant tulips and switched to daffodils because squirrels do not like daffodils. Maybe there is something besides squirrels. Make sure you plant deep enough. I think they should be six inches down. If not one plant made it, something else must be amiss. So sorry you did all that work with no results. Check with your local nursery. I generally go there for gardening advice. Not big box stores, real nurseries who are growers or at least educated in horticulture.

• See 1 previous
    • Sarah LaPointe Sarah LaPointe on Jun 04, 2017
      Really, they were so beautiful the very 1st year that i planted. Hummmm. Yep nothing this year. You think i should try to dig and look for them? What does right sidr up to to get out critters?