What can I use to get rid of poison ivy.

+11
I poured vinegar on the vines but it didn’t work.

• Although I have not tried it, I read that some people pour boiling water on it. Of course, that will kill any other plants that get splashed. Otherwise, most landscaping sites recommend a commercial herbicide.

• Pouring vinegar on the vines will not work. You have to cut down to ground level and at least partially dig out. Then literally drown the area repeatedly with vinegar or opt for "agricultural strength" vinegar.

There are other products out there that you paint on the plant to kill it, but they involve chemicals. We have children and pets in our yards, hence the use of vinegar v. toxic chemicals.

• Wac31980665 Wac31980665 on Jun 18, 2018
    Did you try spraying it on the leaves?

• Zard Pocleeb Zard Pocleeb on Jun 18, 2018
    My property is bordered on 3 sides by woods so I get a lot of poison ivy along the perimeter growing up the trees. I take a hatchet and cut the vines as close to the ground as possible. Kills it every time. Afterwards I don a pair of rubber gloves and wash the hatchet blade with soap and water.

• Kim Kim on Jun 18, 2018
    Boiling water kills all plants. Have someone who doesn’t react to the ivy clear around all the vines at the ground so that you can pour the boiling water on them at ground level. The goal is to scorch the roots. I dislike Ivy so greatly that I would give it the boiling water treatment for several days in a row with a good plain white distilled vinegar soaking shortly after each boiling water soaking, just to be sure!

😊

• Lisa S. Lisa S. on Jun 18, 2018
    I tend to want to use natural products as well. My exception poison ivy. I buy weed kill in a spray can specially formulated. I cannot get near the stuff.

• Fay Huffaker Fay Huffaker on Jun 18, 2018
    It doesn’t bother me but my husband breaks out something awful. So I pull it off the tree and I make sure I get the root. I never see them again. I understand you maybe one breaks out so use good Harding gloves and get in there and pull that stuff out. My little dog gets in there gets on his haithen husband pets him and gets in feated so I try to put down before it get to big. Good luck

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 18, 2018
    Get a product called ground clear, it kills everything! Then, put some in a small can and paint the undersides of the leaves with this, using a small foam brush. Be sure not to get the ground clear on anything else. The plant will take the poison to the roots, through the leaves, and kill just this plant - if you are careful not to get the ground clear on anything else. You can use this method on any plant you want to get rid of. If you are worried about the leaves touching your other plants, cut the unwanted plant short, leaving several leaves, paint the leaves with the ground clear and then cover it with a plastic bag and secure it to the ground. That way, even the wind won't blow the poisoned vine onto your other plants. If you know someone who is diabetic, maybe they will give you a couple of used syringes and you can inject the ground clear right into the vine by the roots. This should take the ground clear right to the roots immediately.