What is available to rid copper head snakes

+4
  • Bbunny42 Bbunny42 on Jun 30, 2018
    You can buy snake repellent at farm stores and put it around the perimeter of your yard, etc., but that stuff smells so bad you can't stay outside. I was told that's how it repels snakes, though. Apparently it does work -- I didn't see any snakes in my yard that year. However, since I've acquired cats, I don't have much of a snake problem except for the little garter snakes the cat brings to the patio to play with until they die, then leaves for me to dispose of. Thank goodness for my grabber tool to pick them up with and toss over the back fence!

• AmAtHome AmAtHome on Jun 30, 2018
    I haven't had to try it, but there is stuff you can put in yard called Snake B Gon.

• Carol Thomas Carol Thomas on Jun 30, 2018
    I use a 410 shotgun. Being that they are poisonous, I don't like to take chances. Also, if you see one, there is almost always another one nearby. I don't mind snakes in general, but can't have the poison ones around. Please be careful!

• Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Jun 30, 2018
    The articles I read say first and foremost don't do anything in your yard without another person, preferably a family member who could call 911 or take you to a hospital in case you are bitten. Make sure you rid your yard of places where their food sources hide (mice, rats, frogs and worms) as they are attracted to your yard where they are. Remove tall grass, leaves and wood piles. Mow your yard frequently. They recommend installing a snake fence at least 25 inches high around the entire perimeter of your property. If you see what looks like a snake hole you can toss a few mothballs down the hole. They recommend mixing mothballs with kitty litter and distributing it throughout your flowerbeds and garden. Apparently snakes don't like mothballs either. Don't try to catch or remove them yourself, but call a professional. I hate snakes of any kind. Good luck.

• Janice Janice on Jun 30, 2018
    Try using mothballs. Line the perimeter of your yard with them. They won't cross the mothballs, but if they are on your side of them they won't leave your yard either.