What is making these marks on my Rose leaves?

+2

I noticed mid Summer (South east PA) that these spots started appearing in my rose leaves. I saw no bugs, no aphids.. I did notice an increase of lady bugs but only ever saw one or two on the rose bushes. I always treat the soil and give them rose food.. it did effect the growth of the bushes as well.

How can I try to prevent them from having more trouble this coming Spring?

q what is making these marks on my rose leaves
  • Maggie Maggie on Dec 30, 2018

Dissolve Epsom salts (magneseum) in water, blend that with banana peel for potassium. Fixed my spits. A little blood meal is good too.

• AG Brown AG Brown on Dec 30, 2018

Most likely black spot - it has been a very wet year. Hopefully, this article will help https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-control-black-spot-fungus-disease-on-roses/

• Sue Sue on Dec 30, 2018

Not sure about your part of the country (insects) but here that would be a rose leaf virus blackspot, copper spray is helpful , remove a diseased leaves, dont use these for compost

• Oliva Oliva on Dec 30, 2018

Hi, fellow Pennsylvanian,

Our excessive rains in PA caused a great deal of black spot. Treating plants with a baking soda spray offered some relief, but it was important to remove leaf litter and affected leaves to avoid the spread of this problem.

Placing a 4" layer of hardbark or pine needle mulch under rose bush ( but not against main stem), out to the drip line to reduce 'splash back", and watering only at the base of roses (never overhead), will help to reduce this problem.

I, too follow Maggie's advice, and feed with Bayer Rose and Shrub food, banana peels and Epsom salts, dug into soil.

Hopefully, PA will see less rain in 2019...

• Mona Plunkett Mona Plunkett on Dec 31, 2018

It is called 'black spot' and it is a type of fungus condition. Unusually wet conditions can cause it to appear. There are fungicides in the stores that can help with the condition. Early on remove the infected leaves and spray with the fungicide. Important thing to remember too...don't spray the leaves when watering. Water roses from near the ground. My gran always said roses were maidens fair who dangle their toes in the water and not their hair.