What plants do deer not like?

+3
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 30, 2017
    What is your location and lighting

• Where I live, we don't have anything that the deer don't like. If they are hungry enough, they will try anything!

• Treva Kirby Adams Treva Kirby Adams on May 30, 2017
    If you're looking for blooming or ornamentals, try American Holly, daffodils, barberry shrubs, crocus, butterfly bushes, boxwood, bleeding hearts, dusty miller, larkspur, lavendar and mint. Common tansy, lemon balm, monkshood and forget-me-nots.

• Jill Nunes Madden Jill Nunes Madden on May 30, 2017
    I can only speak to white tail deer here in the East.
    Though when they are eating your garden it may not seem like it, deer are actually pretty finicky eaters .
    they instinctively know not to eat poisonous plants, such as Foxglove, poppies and poison ivy. Though I strongly suggest not using the latter!
    Deer are also pretty fussy about strongly scented plants such as Lily of the valley, mint, lavender and sage. I personally love all of these fragrances. You need to be careful when planting lily of the valley though because they will take over your garden, and they're scent is not season lasting .
    But really, I just plant several varieties and heights of marigolds around the perimeter of my garden. That keeps deer and several other critters out of my garden. And... Tada! it's pretty too!!

• Cori Widen Cori Widen on May 31, 2017
    Definitely try marigolds

• Cindy Cindy on May 31, 2017
    Hello Ginger. The best way to keep any animals (including deer) out of your garden is to grind up some bars of Irish Spring bar soap. You can shred the soap on a box grater or a food processor. Then sprinkle it around your plants This method is effective and inexpensive. Hope this helps. Good luck and Happy Gardening.