What's the best DIY solution to keep woodpeckers away from the house?

I've tried many things that move as a deterrent but the wind often pulls them loose. Is there a scent or something that can be sprayed to repel them?
  • Tricia Boyer Tricia Boyer on May 28, 2017
    Omg, I moved into new house, just built. I had a bird that was pecking on the chimney cap and an edge board. Per Audobon society they are protected. They are afraid of shiny moving things. I got metallic ribbon streamers and nailed them by the wood edge. The bird left us alone. I could hear pecking down the street. Hopefully he found a new place.

• Ramona Baker Ramona Baker on May 28, 2017
    Thank you. I tried hanging old CD's that move in the wind (which we get a lot of) but the birds seem to just find a new spot to make holes in. It's hard to chase them away completely. They will go away for a little while but return. They are not actual woodpeckers but peck holes like them. They bored through the siding and made a nest inside the wall. So I can't spray foam to fill the hole without knowing the nest is empty. It's so frustrating when their noise wakes me up. They do it daytime and in the middle of the night!!

• Cindy Cindy on May 28, 2017
    A family friend had your problem with wood peckers. He found out that he had termites and the peckers were attracted to them as food. Double wammy. It's all about food for them. maybe hang a suet brick near them and gradually move it further from your house every day. They will be attracted to the feeder instead of your place. That would be an inexpensive solution. You can buy suet cakes at most big box stores and home improvement stores. Hope this helps. Good luck.