What's the best, earth-healthy way to prevent weeks?

I live in the high desert of California.
  • Dfm Dfm on Jun 17, 2017
    Paper..as in the newspapers, wood chips, straw, these will break down and feed the soil. If you are just starting a new garden bed....black plastic mulch film to heat up the garden spot and kill off weeds..."solarizing" it's called in my area. Then the organics around the plants. I do not recommend hay...it is technically a grass and can seed its self.

• T. OConnell T. OConnell on Jun 17, 2017
    make nontoxic vinegar. It kills weeds and breaks down harmlessly in the soil within 24 hours. Two teaspoons of dishwashing liquid to one quart plastic bottle of white vinegar. Shake gently to avoid excess foam. Coat top of weed with solution avoiding nearby plants. Weeds usually die within 24 hours

• Rhonda Andrews Curtis Rhonda Andrews Curtis on Jun 17, 2017
      Have you actually tried this? Sounds like what I did a couple years ago, and it didn't work for our hearty weeds. I'll try it again:)

• T. OConnell T. OConnell on Jun 18, 2017
    It doesn't do as good of job as pesticides but they are harmful. I did try it but on the stronger weeds I poured straight vinegar and that worked